Living the American Dream

Wednesday, July 06, 2011

Home Sweet Home?

I can’t fail to notice that of all the reporters the Naperville Sun could have chosen to cover Naperville’s Independence Day celebrations, they chose a Brit. I like to think it is because you are not quite as free from us as you would like, but the reality is that every American would rather be at home celebrating with their families than working.
I’ve been observing Americans at work and play for more than four years since moving here from London. I particularly love 4th July. It’s not just that it celebrates your freedom from the British, for which you’re very welcome by the way. It’s the way you celebrate. Some countries mark their independence with military parades. Here in Naperville you celebrate as only Midwesterners can - with outdoor cook outs, barrels of beer, loud music and fireworks.
Even at a giant four day party for 250,000 of your closest friends, the only crime is irritation for those who live within a two mile radius of Knoch Knolls Park and a couple of vegetarians.
No one does patriotism like the Americans. From the Central Park Municipal Band Concert on Thursday night to the fireworks on 4th July, it makes me feel proud to be an American when I’m actually English. I chant the Pledge of Allegiance and applaud war veterans. Looking at such displays from across the ocean I thought it was all rather corny, and singularly unBritish, but when you’re in the center of it you cannot fail to be moved.
So I’m actually delighted to have covered two years of Ribfest now. I don’t have family here for a back yard cook out. It gives me somewhere to be where I am right in the thick of things. Much as like my position as observer, sometimes it’s good to get caught up a little too.
It also reminds me, as if I needed reminding, that being part of these celebrations is not my right as it is yours. At this time of year I know you all remember those who died for the freedom of this country and those who are serving still. I am fighting a different battle. One of visas and red tape that I hope to eventually win, but not without some huge personal sacrifices.
So while I still can, I’m happy to share your celebrations and shed a tear through those oh so patriotic moments. Because one day I’ll be able to sing God Bless America knowing it is my permanent home sweet home.

1 Comments:

  • Yes, you will.

    Your beautiful, heartfelt words bring tears to my old, tired eyes....

    ...this land is your land (and) it is my land...

    Diane

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home