Living the American Dream

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Tornado Alley Dog

I'm writing this from my basement during a tornado warning. Grumpy's out, so I'm home alone with my guard dog, who is sniffing around just to make sure no gusts of wind can sneak in through the floor boards.
I can hear thunder rumbling in the not to distant distance. The sirens went off a few minutes ago, just enough time for me to decide what to take down into the basement with me.
I decided on three essentials only. My laptop, my phone and my six month old puppy.
She's delighted to have found a ball to play with, but is displaying obvious concern as to why I feel the need to blog about it.
It's times like this that I wish we had a more luxurious basement. If the house is in danger, surely it would be better to have a more basic upstairs and leave the good stuff for down below? But then again what we do in the event of a flood?
My journalistic head makes me wonder if I should actually be knocking on neighbors' doors asking for quotes. These tornadoes are very random. They can get one house and miss another, so not sure which neighbor to talk to anyway.
I'm also concerned as to how I would know the warning is over. I have no TV down here, and anyhow what would happen if the electricity went out? Supposing I fell asleep and missed the all clear siren? I could be down here for weeks until either Grumpy finally missed me or the cleaning ladies called.
Getting a little noisier now. Why am sitting in a miserable basement when I could be upstairs taking photos? I did cover a library board meeting earlier this evening, but somehow this is a little more exciting.
I'm hallucinating that Daisy is Toto and she's going to fly off in one of the baskets littering the basement shelves.
What would eat if I were stranded here? A few bottles of three year old Guiness or a Mike's Hard Lemonade? At least I won't die of thirst. Or boredom. I've a pool table and some bowling games. There's darts too, plus enough flatware for two dozen people should they need to take shelter.
It's really creepy down here. I can hear more rumbling and what about the mice? Not pet ones heaven forbid, but the ones that avoid the traps at all cost. Supposing one of them jumped out at me? In fact I can hear a scratching now...oh hang on, it's just Daisy chewing up the carpet, great.
They say a tornado sounds like a train rushing past. I lived by a station for years in England..wonder if the trains sounded like a tornado?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home