Living the American Dream

Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered

I'm not sure if Halloween brings out the best in people here, the worst, or that they're just plain crazy. After his lack of success in Goodwill, Ross went off to an ordinary shop that sells clothes cheap, and headed straight for the clearance rail. (Nothing if not frugal, that man. Just as well with me spending so much on my witch's outfit. Pity I couldn't just conjure one up).
Anyhow, this time the search went well, and before long he was having fun trying on all sorts of things while I waited outside the fitting room.
The assistant seemed slightly surprised when a middle aged man appeared in grey striped trousers, a wing collar shirt, a red waistcoat and a teenager's frayed velvet jacket a good size too small.
"It's perfect," we declared.
I could stand her tortured expression no longer.
"It's ok, it's for Halloween," I laughed. "He's being the butler of a haunted mansion."
Her face immediately relaxed and she broke into an enthusiastic smile.
"Oh, I wish my husband would do that, he never joins in," she lamented.
"I dress up every year myself," she beamed.
I was delighted to find a fellow conspirator.
"Do you volunteer somewhere?" I asked. "Or just have a party?"
"No, I just dress up as a witch and scare the neighbourhood kids. I like to go trick or treating myself."
She told me she was 60-years-old and often won prizes for her costume.
As I looked more closely, I could see she maybe didn't have too much more to add. She had long purple nails (her own, I am told), a dark brown bob framed with white and less than fortunate features.
I'm beginning to think in Naperville at least, Halloween is a time for many people to just be themselves...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home