Living the American Dream

Thursday, October 18, 2007

The Kindness of Strangers

A typical act of kindness in the mid west. The other day we supported the American economy as usual by taking our latest English guest to Premium Outlets shopping mall. Ross was diligently employed to trot backwards and forwards to the car with her purchases. After the second (or was it third?) trip, he returned with a story.
"I went to put the stuff back in the boot (that's trunk to you Americans) when I realised a bag was missing. I searched around but it was gone," he said.
Typically this was my one purchase, a cashmere Ralph Lauren sweater. It was a bargain. Honestly.
"I was walking back to tell you the bad news when I saw a woman standing nearby holding the bag up. When I went over to her, she said she had been waiting there for 10 minutes in the hope that someone would come."
Apparently laden down, Ross had dropped one of the bags on the ground without realising. The woman was just waiting for someone to claim it.
What I have learnt from this story.
1. Next time I'll keep hold of my shopping.
2. You can always get bargains outlet shopping.
3. I will never stop being astonished by the honesty and warmth of the mid westerners.

1 Comments:

  • My goodness you've aged! That mid-western sun has done a number on both of you!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 5:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home