Living the American Dream

Thursday, October 11, 2007

Which Witch?

I must get the award for the best volunteer in the world! In my attempt to work on my part as third witch for Halloween at the Naper Settlement, this week I visited Salem, Massachusetts. If anyone knows about witches they do. It was the scene of the 17th century witch hunts.
I went along to Salem while on a visit to Boston. Right up until the hour I decided to go to Salem the weather had been unseasonally hot and sunny. By the time I got on the train it was cold, grey and overcast with drizzle. Atmospheric to say the least.
Salem is a great place for modern day witch hunters. There are museums galore, trinket shops with every kind of spooky souvenir and of course with Halloween coming up, everything was absolutely wonderful.
However, was any of this going to help me in my quest to find my motivation as a Shakespearean witch?
I was probably a little too excited to see a statue to my very favourite witch of all time, Samantha Stevens from the TV show Bewitched. Not sure twitching my nose and making casseroles would be much help here.
In the visitors' centre I picked up what looked like a helpful leaflet. It was from the Project Witches Protection. Trouble was it was all about modern day witches, protesting that they were neither green nor warty, never wear pointy hats and use vacuum cleaners instead of broomsticks.
I finally found my inspiration in the Salem Witch Museum. Of course it was designed to show a sterotypical witch, but that was exactly what I needed.
So I will be wearing a long black and green dress, black cape, pointy hat and painting my face green. Fortunately I won't need a prosthetic nose since I have spent the past 50 years growing my own.
Just hope the Naper Settlement appreciates my efforts!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home