Living the American Dream

Friday, June 27, 2008

Jen Lancaster fans...read on

Today I made the truly horrible discovery that someone else has been living my life!
Unfortunately they haven't been taking care of my kids or cleaning my house. What they've been doing is writing a blog, been picked up and published and is now filling their days with exciting book tours!
The good thing is that it shows my plan has worked. The bad news is that it worked for someone else, meaning I am not as original as I thought.
The person I am talking about is Jen Lancaster, a very funny successful Chicago writer. You can check out her blog at...no, just a minute, she's doing well enough without me. If you're that interested Google her, and she can add another one to the 6,000 or so hits she gets on her blog each day. The fact that she gets so many hits probably indicates that she doesn't actually know all her readers personally, as I seem to.
Her success means she is too busy to reply to her fans. That'll show her. I'd much rather reply in far too much depth than is called for to the five people who have ever taken the time to e mail me. (Not that I am not very, very, very grateful to all of you, of course).
Jen writes very wittily about her life, and has just had her third book published. At book signings she is met by lines of adoring fans who dress like her in twinsets and pearls 1. She chats about her struggles with her weight, and although I am pleased to see I am far more successful in that area than she appears to be, I'd willingly strap a couple more donuts to my hips if it got me a book deal.
In a somewhat narcissistic attempt to poach some of her readers 2, I have included her name on this item since my blog often pops up on Google 3.

1 and that's just the men
2 and show off that I can spell narcissistic
3 for those of you who don't know her, Jen often uses footnotes which quite frankly just irritate me

4 Comments:

  • Hoping to be #6 on the list of those from whom you have received e-mails, I shall initiate a message so that I can honestly say, "I knew where when . . ."

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:55 PM  

  • Hilary, I promise to attend your book signing (1) wearing twinset/pearls (2) I also really enjoy Ms. Lancaster's books (3)
    1 Just tell me where/when
    2 Will fake pearls suffice?
    3 And I really, really hate footnotes!
    Steph

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:38 AM  

  • i would queue from Naperville to London to have a book signed by you!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:04 AM  

  • How sweet. If you're that keen I can sign one of Jen's books and send it over!

    By Blogger Hilary, at 8:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home