Living the American Dream

Monday, June 30, 2008

Musical Inspiration


One surprise find in St Louis came when we stumbled across Scott Joplin's house. The surprise was not only because I hadn't know Joplin had lived there, but because it was so easy to find. I have a history of dragging my family around God foresaken spots to find such places. In Key West it was driving around trying to find Ernest Hemingway's house. The worst was definitely walking miles to find Tennessee Williams' house, which we would have still be looking for today had Grumpy not dragged me off.
Joplin only lived in the house for six months, but being desperate to cling on to history, the city has kept the house as a museum.
Our tour guide claimed to be a professor of ragtime. Not sure if he was kidding or not, but he certainly played as if he was one! As a fledging pianist it was very inspiring, particularly as I have discovered the secret to playing expert ragtime. All I need is a player piano that you run rolls of music through by pumping your feet! Perfect music every time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home