Living the American Dream

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Tivoli Trivia







My column in today's Naperville Sun stirred up some unexpected interest. Read it below, then see what followed.
As a newcomer, it's lovely to stir up some really old memories for people who have lived here for a lot longer than I have. The beautiful photos were sent to me by Chris Johnson of Classic Cinemas.






Tivoli is the starring attraction of weeknight movie adventure
July 22, 2008

I love movies, in fact I have pretty much based my life on them. It was watching American films as a child in England that led to my love of the United States. Nowadays when I play piano I am Adrien Brody in "The Pianist." When I flit around the dance floor I am Cyd Charisse. Unfortunately I play golf as if I am in "Caddyshack," but I guess you can't have everything.
Anyhow, when I came to live here, I couldn't wait to see a real American film in America. The big shiny cineplex was calling, so why did we shoot straight past it and head off to Downers Grove?
It was because Downers Grove boasts something even better than a 47 screened cinematic monstrosity where you're lucky to find three other people sitting in the same room as you. Downers Grove has The Tivoli, a shrine to the golden age of Hollywood. A fabulous art deco palace that Norma Desmond would have been proud to have played in.
It was so exciting to queue up outside for one of only two little kiosks issuing tickets. To wait in the huge lobby, then enter the splendid inner temple with its colorful paint work and wonderful architecture.
The turnout was huge. The place must seat about 2,000 people.
"This must be some movie to attract such a large crowd," I reasoned as I settled into my velvet tip up seat.
Then I saw it, or rather heard it. At the side of the stage was an organist playing what looked like an original 1920s Wurlitzer!
It was just perfect, although I spent the whole time waiting to see it descend into the bowels of the stage.
The room darkened and the film began. Unusually these days, it went straight into the show, with no commercials or trailers. Not having been to the cinema in the United States I thought it was a bit strange, but I'd watched enough TV to assume there would be ad breaks every 30 seconds throughout the movie instead.
This may seem a little odd, but I was so excited to see the cinema that I hadn't really considered what the movie was.
The title told me it was called "The Italian." Had they just cut the word 'job' off the end? If not, maybe it would show picturesque scenes of Italian vineyards with a happy family eating alfresco outside their villa in the Italian hills. Or a romp through Rome on the back of a Vespa? That would be fun.
The opening gray scenes of a bleak snowy orphanage made me think that maybe I had the wrong film. It turned out to be the miserable story of a little Russian orphan who is awaiting adoption by an Italian couple. Unfortunately he never makes it there because he runs away to find his real mother first. Oh, and just to make matters worse, it was in Russian, with English subtitles.
Apparently every other Monday the Tivoli is taken over by the After Hours Film Society, who use it show art house movies. The Sun's film reviewer Josh Larsen even hosts discussions sometimes.
As someone whose limit is talking about the price of popcorn, it's probably just as well I didn't stay for that bit ...




Sue Retterer writes:

I want to tell you how much I enjoy your column every Tuesday in the Naperville Sun. It's comforting to know that other people have the same sense of humor (or should I say humour)!I really enjoyed today's column about the Tivoli theater. The owners have done a wonderful job of restoring it, but I wish you could have seen it in 1960 through my 10 year old eyes. I was then deemed old enough to walk to the "show" with my girlfriend, clutching my little change purse containing 70 cents; 35 cents admission, 25 for popcorn, 10 for pop.The lobby was plush with sofas and chairs here and there, and I seem to remember velvet curtains around the doors to the aisles. We always went down aisle #3. The seats weren't as nice as they are now, but we didn't know any different. There were ushers then, with flashlights to help seat late comers. We were admonished by out parents that the ushers had the authority to kick us out of the theater if we were too loud or unruly. The lobby also had vending machines for ice cream, candy, and pop. This came in handy if the lines at the concession stand were too long. Oh, and the REAL butter on the freshly popped popcorn! I doubt if the kids today know how good that tastes, given the oily substance put on the pre-popped popcorn offered at today's multiplexes. I dreamed of working at the Tivoli when I got older, alternating between usher and concession stand.A trip to the ladies room was an event. There was an actual "lounge" with plush chairs and more vending machines. I would wish I had more money to buy one of the nifty combs, a dark blue mini bottle of "Evening in Paris" perfume, or a "napkin" with a rose on the package (I found out what those were for the next year).Thanks for bringing me down memory lane. I heard you can rent the Tivoli for corporate events, and weddings as well. I have visions of the bride standing on the organ as it ascends from the floor, the organist playing the wedding march, not to mention real buttered popcorn for the guests! See you at the Tivoli!






1 Comments:

  • Hilary,
    Read your blog about the Tivoli and wonderful old movies. Bring one home! Check out Cyd Charisse in Brigadoon or Singing in the Rain from our library. This way you're not limited in your choice of culinary indulgence -- and you can watch while you're waiting for Ellen to come on.
    PS. Really enjoy your blogs!
    Susan Greenwood
    Naperville Public Library

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home