Living the American Dream

Sunday, July 06, 2008

There's No Place Like Home

The scenery around Galena is indeed very pretty, not dissimilar to the English countryside. Indeed we must have driven 300 miles around it this weekend, but Grumpy didn't mind because he saved $10 on gas by filling up the car in Iowa!
"Tell you what," he said. "Let's drive on a bit and we'll stop at somewhere nice for lunch before going home."
So with an oldies station providing background music, I settled down into my seat as we drove off away from the hotel, down hill and through dale. Some prettily named villages had surprisingly little to offer, but we carried on...yawn..and on..yaawwn..
The air conditioning unit in our car is a bit like a shower. Get it warm enough and you're suddenly flaking out from the heat. Cold enough and a minute later its like being on the polar ice cap.
Yawn..zz.
As usual after a few minutes I dozed off. To be honest I think this is because it saves me having to shut my eyes everytime Grumpy comes too close the car in front.
"Ok wake up, I've found somewhere for lunch."
I looked at my watch. About two hours had elapsed.
"This is pretty," I said. "Wooden lodge, lots of trees, very nice."
"Yes," said Grumpy, sounding a little uneasy. "They do a nice brunch."
"Hang on a minute," I said, waking up properly. "This is the hotel we've just left."
"Well this was just the kind of place we were looking for and there was nowhere else like it," Grumpy reasoned. "So I thought we might as well come back."
"Welcome back again Sir," said Russ, the friendly doorman. "Forget something, did we?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home