Living the American Dream

Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Not Entirely Happy Birthday

On this very day, 25 years ago, I gave birth to my first child, Orphan No. 1. (Obviously he wasn't called that then, largely because it would have seemed like a really bad omen). It was a traumatic day with a long labour followed by a difficult delivery. I'm pleased to say Grumpy was by my side throughout, if only because by gripping his hand for nearly 19 hours he got just a teeny bit of the pain I was suffering.
If I could have peeked into the future to today, I would have thought there was something wrong with the satellite signal.
Today I had to wish my little boy a happy birthday via a long distance phone call. We live on the other side of the world to each other, and not because he's moved anywhere. So far today I have given advice to an English journalism student who wants to profile me for a class project; written a feature about my somewhat eclectic piano teacher; secured a meeting with the Naperville Sun about some exciting new developments (I'll give you the scoop when I can); am trying to negotiate a place for Mrs Hammerstein and her quintet at Naperville Jazz Festival and done the ironing. Nearly. Later it's another rehearsal for my musical, Holy Neuteronomy!
As regular readers know, I love my life here in Naperville, and don't miss England at all. Except on days like this when I remember the years of opening presents, birthday parties and scraping jelly off the carpet. Happy Birthday, Robin.

2 Comments:

  • "Many Happy Returns of the Day" Robin, from the Nosworthy family:)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:18 PM  

  • Robin: From the perspective of the "new" neighbourhood, you'll always be our little pirate.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home