Living the American Dream

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Happy St Patrick's Day Mr O'Bama!

Everyone is Irish today in Chicago. Well, not quite everyone, I for one am still English, but it's astonishing how popular St Patrick's Day is here. Considering I used to live next door to Ireland, it really wasn't much of a deal in England. In fact the only reason I knew when St Patrick's Day was was because I was in Patrick's House at school and got to wear a green sash and my Brownie uniform for school on March 17th.
The Chicago river is dyed bright green, and this year President Obama has taken his local tradition to Washington where the White House is now sporting green fountains. Next year I hear he's going to turn his home into the Green House for the day, no doubt with pots of shamrocks growing in window boxes.
Out and about in Naperville today, many people were wearing green, and the bars are going to be packed tonight. The stores are decorated and you all the tat that was left over from Mardi Gras has been relaunched dipped in emerald green paint.
Unfortunately any celebrations I may have attended have been curtailed because of the second round of root canal treatment this morning. Even the dental nurses were wearing green t shirts, which matched my face by the time I crawled out of the chair.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home