Living the American Dream

Sunday, March 29, 2009

I'm A Believer

When I was 14 I could only dream of seeing stars like Davy Jones and David Cassidy perform live. Every Saturday I would watch The Monkees on TV, pick out little boyish Davy as my favourite and watch eagerly. I didn't actually have their posters on my wall, but I would swoon over teen magazines at school. So when I heard they were both playing at the Rosemont Theatre, Chicago, I was keen for Grumpy to get tickets. He was keen because the tickets were a bargain price, so on Saturday we went along with Spike, the Oracle, Rebecca of Sunnybrook Drive and Divine. I have a feeling the girls were a bit keener than the men, but none of them can resist a bargain it seems.
Unfortunately bargain priced meant sitting in the gods, which to be honest just isn't a fair thing to do to ladies of a certain age who needed breathing apparatus to reach their seats. But as the lights went down, we suddenly developed gazelle like qualities as we bounded to a better position. Boy those men have taught us well.
At this stage of my life, I don't have to see the two Davids to get hot under the collar. I'm already hot quite a lot of the time. But as Davy Jones bounded onto the stage, I could have been 14 again and he could have been 24. From my far away seat through my far away glasses, he looked as young as ever, although why he was wearing a grey wig I don't know.
"We used to be heart throbs," he quipped to the screaming female audience. "Now we're coronaries."
Being English, Davy still has a lovely self-deprecating style that I would really appreciate if I were any good at doing that myself (think about it). He constantly acknowledged the fact that he was a lot older, even though from my disad (vantage) point it was hard to imagine.
David Cassidy, 59 this year, still looked every inch the rock star. Apart from a slightly receding hairline he was much the same (unless he'd grafted the body of a much younger man onto his head, of course). The women in the front row still screamed as he held their hands, although I don't imagine he'd fancy them as much as he did in his youth.
Lining up for the ladies room afterwards, I looked at my peers. Mostly women in their fifties, some wearing jeans because they still thought it was the dress code for a pop concert, others looking, well just old. But for one night at least, we were all young again, a memory I'll always 'cherish'.

1 Comments:

  • Can't believe he's almost 59! I originally did not want to go to the concert because of all the old ladies who would be there (myself NOT included, of course). Glad I went - it was fun to have the whole theater singing some of those old silly songs! Hilary, you're keeping me young!

    By Anonymous Rebecca of Sunnybrook Drive, at 1:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home