Living the American Dream

Friday, May 29, 2009

It's An Urban Jungle Out There

When you're trying to become a celebrity, there are two routes you can travel. One: hang out in a Costa Rican jungle for a couple of weeks with an NBC camera crew, or two: hang out in downtown Naperville with other local celebs.
Prefering to risk the urban jungle, last night Grumpy and I went along to Networking for a Cause at Naperville Cultural Center. Unfortunately I wasn't able to network with anyone I didn't know already, but did rub shoulders with local TV personalities, councilmen, media and PR people. We had a good time, but I just can't help noticing how different people here are. The smallest thing is so exciting to them that you just can't help but get swept up in the moment.
Perhaps the oddest thing was the auction. Now you would think that if you had Dave Savini of CBS television and Dolly McCarthy of NCTV, they would be happy to run it for you. To be honest, I think they would have been, if they hadn't been completely side-stepped by Naperville's 'world famous' dentist, Anthony La Vacca (note I'm kindly not giving celebrities blog names because I feel they deserve (and probably want) all they get).
Within minutes Dr La Vacca had really got his teeth into it. Perhaps he sold sheep in a previous life, although I guess coming from New York this was somewhat unlikely. The auction went on for hours, although I'm not sure he completely got the hang of what he was meant to do because he bought half the items himself.
Probably the strangest bid was for a set of invisilign braces - clear plastic braces that have replaced the horrible metal train tracks of the past. They went for a bargain at just over $3,000! I can just imagine the successful bidder running home to tell his family!
I guess I'm fitting into the local celebrity scene quite well, albeit as the class clown. I'm like the podgy girl in class who makes everybody laugh. All my new 'friends' are scrumptious blondes with beautiful teeth (no doubt supplied by Dr LaVacca). Heck, two of them were former models! I'm the short fat one who feels like she's in a forest as she looks up to talk to them.
Maybe it's not as unlike the jungle as I thought.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home