Living the American Dream

Friday, September 11, 2009

9/11: Sailing On

When the horrors of 9/11 unfolded we were living in England. I remember I was preparing for one of my Weight Watchers meetings, as a leader, not the failing member I am now. I had a couple of American members and we all commiserated with them.
This anniversary we're on a cruise ship currently heading towards Victoria, Canada. At 12 noon everything stopped for a minute's silence, followed by a mourneful playing of the last post.
Five minutes later everything was back to normal. The slot machines ringing, the entertainers enthralling the crowds, the boutiques bringing in a fortune from captive shoppers with nowhere to go.
We have reminders of 9/11 every day, like the careful security checking every time we get back on board. But the terrorists didn't end up winning the battle. That would only happen if we all didn't carry on as normal living life to the full.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home