Living the American Dream

Friday, September 11, 2009

Sleeping Along On The Crest Of A Wave

One of the nicer things about sleeping on a ship is the gentle rocking of the ocean. It's a bit like lying in a baby's cradle. But last night it was more like trying to sleep on a roller coaster. I knew something was up when the captain put out an announcement in the afternoon that we were changing course to avoid a violent storm. Since we've had nothing but rain since leaving Chicago, I wasn't surprised, and in a way I hoped this would get it out of its system.
We were awoken around 3 a.m. by a violent rocking.
"I'm going to put everything in the bathroom into the sink to stop it falling onto the floor," said Grumpy, resourceful even in the middle of the night. A firm slam of the bathroom door also stopped it swinging backwards and forwards all night too.
You know those horror films where evil spirits make the room shake? Trying to sleep, I dreamt I was hurtling downhill on an uncontrolable sled. We shook and bumped all through the night, and not in a good way.
By morning it was done. The sea was calm and don't get too excited, but I think the glare through the heavy cloud base might just be the sun. We did actually see a whale blowing water out of its spout from our window. Personally I think it was sent as an apology by the bears we never got to see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home