Living the American Dream

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Bowled Over

I don't usually see the need to be competitive in sport. After all, when you have the abilities I do, there really is no point. I'm not blowing my own horn here - I really am that bad. So it was with some trepidation that Grumpy and I went along to a 'fun raiser' at Brunswick Bowl last night for Naperville City Councilman Kenn Miller.
The first thing I'd like to point out is that this should no way be seen as an endorsement for the councilman. Yes, technically we paid $60 into his fund, but we got the last laugh because as non American citizens we're not entitled to vote! (Or he did, not quite sure).Anyhow, I saw it as a good networking opportunity and a chance for a fun night out.
The trouble with networking in a small town (well, it is to me anyhow) is that you tend to meet the same people all the time. In the end we ended up bowling with Jett and Serendipity. As regular readers will know, I’m always more than happy to see Jett, even if I’m not wearing full evening dress, 6lbs of make up and an updo. (Although it would certainly making bowling a more glamorous activity). But it’s one thing fluttering my eyelashes across my granite worktop, quite another having to play sport. Not to mention my yoga buddy (once only obviously) Serendipity, who could probably bowl accurately through her legs with her back to the pins.
In the end, things didn’t turn out too badly. Whereas often I’ll miss every turn completely, ending up with a score of 45, this time I even got a couple of strikes. Plus I learned a great new technique. Keep your eye on the center pin, but imagine your adversary’s face on it, glowering at you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home