Living the American Dream

Saturday, October 09, 2010

As My Time At The Sun Sets.....

I only worked at the Naperville Sun for three years, but I'm a sentimental old fool so here are my top five highlights.
8. Getting the only interview with Mayor Pradel and his highly reclusive wife on their 50th wedding anniversary.
7. Introducing myself as Hilary Decent of the Naperville Sun.
6. Digging out hidden stories at all the local festivals.
5. Meeting Dick Tracy author and artist Dick Locher, a true gentle man.
4.The issue when they introduced me by putting my photo with a banner across the top of the front page.
3. Getting the opportunity to contribute to their opinion columns, particularly the one explaining my situation with the whole Green Card issue. That's the power of the Press for you.
2. All my Naperville Women columns. The column was my idea and I have loved meeting and highlighting the fascinating women who call Naperville home.
1. Evan Lysacek. I loved following him for the paper on Dancing With The Stars, but I doubt I'll ever have a day in my career to beat Evan Lysacek Day when he came home to a hero's welcome after winning a gold medal at the Winter Olympics. You might recall I spent an entire day following him around on a press coach filing one story after another as the day progressed. Nothing beats the excitement of working on tight deadlines knowing your work will appear instantly in the news, and I couldn't have been more excited if I had won the medal myself.

1 Comments:

  • I have truly enjoyed reading each and every one of your articles - you added a real spark of life to the Naperville Sun! I'm looking forward to seeing you in the Glancer Magazine - congratulations! Stephanie

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home