Living the American Dream

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Home Comforts?

It's like the United Nations in our house at the moment. The demolisher is American, the painters Mexican and the electricians Polish, but I suppose that is fair enough since the owners are English!
Fortunately the team has unearthed no real surprises so far, save for a family of mice beneath the kitchen. Fortunately, any taste of my cooking will soon put pay to that. Currently we have no flooring downstairs, few completed walls and not too many ceilings either. From the master bedroom we have a grand view of the attic above, largely because we have no ceiling there either. There is dust everywhere and the dulcet tones of sledgehammers and the like wake the neighbours on a daily basis.
There are now 22 days before our house guests arrive. We have ordered their beds, one is still in storage, and the basement is filling up with bedding. We cannot have the beds delivered until the bedrooms are painted and two will also need carpeting.
We have invited so many people to the housewarming party on July 22nd that I have lost count. We're still not sure when we will actually move in. The deck where the party is to be staged looks like a bulldozer chewed up the edges. The grass is growing a foot a day.
Despite this, I am quietly confident all will be well. Deep down I know it will be alright on the day. Outwardly I am having a nervous breakdown. What was I thinking? I have half of Naperville coming to this gathering, and the way things are going I may have to issue hard hats on arrival and give them sawdust martinis to drink!
I still hope it will be like one of those home make-over shows, where at the last minute everyone runs around with accessories and the owner bursts into tears. I imagine slicing through a black plastic tarp over the entrance way to reveal a stunning interior. That reminds me. We did order the front door, right?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home