Living the American Dream

Friday, June 29, 2007

Maybe It's Because I'm a Londoner...

As I write this I am watching NBC Today. They are in London because of the 10th anniversary of Princess Diana's death. Interestingly enough they are treating London with much the same patriotism they display in America. The news items are very positive - how great English cuisine is, how it is a great commerical centre, fascinating facts about tea drinking, that kind of thing. They have interviewed Princes William and Harry, plus Diana's brother Charles Althorp. There is great excitement about Sunday's commemorative concert at the new Wembley Stadium, which, incidentally, is within walking distance of my old home.
From the other side of the pond, news about London and the Royal family is very different. They report the same events, of course, but instead of serving the dish with a dollop of positivity, it is always covered in a thick layer of negativity.
Charles Althorp is usually portrayed as an outspoken opposer of the Royals, which I guess is understandable considering what they did to his sister. The princes are pictured rolling out of nightclubs often the worse for wear. Wembley Stadium itself was hugely controversial when the original building was demolished and the new one was not finished in time.
So which version of current events is true? Well I suppose the answer depends on how you look at it. In England, most people's cups are half empty, over here, brimming over.
The problem is in England we are all so negative about most things it can be difficult to succeed in life. Here, problems are often swept under the carpet so everyone feels great, but is life actually any easier?
Wednesday is arguably the most important day in the American calendar, Independence Day. I can't wait to experience it, with all the flag waving, fireworks etc. (Of course I may need to keep a low profile considering who they are celebrating escaping from!)
In England we have a national day too. St George's Day happens on April 23rd. No, I'm not surprised that American readers may never have heard of it. Flag waving in England is considered a bad thing. We are so multi-cultural that people fear any shows of patriotism will offend the majority of the population. It is not politically correct to show any display of pride in our country.
Here in America, we have inherited a fitting for a flag pole outside our new home. I can't really fly the American flag because I am English. I would feel odd displaying the Union Jack because it "simply isn't done". So stuck in the middle of these two leading cultures, I sit a little nervously in the middle. My English roots tell me to remain guarded and cynical. My experiences in America are making me feel more positive that I have ever felt before. More than ever, I feel positivity breeds content. My negative side wonders how long this will last....

2 Comments:

  • Why do you not sew the two flags together and fly them? From one side it will be the UK Flag and from the otherside the US Flag.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:45 AM  

  • This has got to have come from someone in your quilt-making circle

    By Blogger Corinne, at 9:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home