Living the American Dream

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

That Old Green Magic







sryui for any topping msitooks but I am riting thiiis with thrww inch3 log nail\. Thr resoan? My role as third witch at the Naper Settlement's Halloween event. On Monday we took part in the dress rehearsal. We had the most tremendous fun. They don't call me a drama queen for nothing. We spent hours, and a small fortune, getting ready. I had to use a wig to revert my normal hair colour back to its original grey curls, highlight the moles I usually cover up and paint my face green. Luckily I have spent the past 50 years growing my own nose, so I didn't have to buy a prosthetic one.
I dragged Ross into it too. As the "newly dead" butler to the haunted mansion, I gave him a white face, powdered wig and a dyed black rose to wear in his button hole. To be honest, I found him more attactive than normal - must have been the thick head of hair I haven't seen since he had an afro when we first met!
I have been practising my lines all week. Chanting spells in the car and asking the staff where they keep the root of hemlock in Jewel. I called out "double, double, toil and trouble" when stirring the soup, which quite frankly some of our dinner guests this week found quite alarming.
My part is played in the basement of the Redemption House, transformed for Halloween into the underworld. On Monday there were just some pieces of gauze hung about, but by the performance on Friday night there should be a real cauldron.
My "sisters" were very pleasant, both regular volunteers at the settlement. However, I did find it somewhat disconcerting to hear Shakespeare with an American accent, particularly phrases like "fillet of a fenny snake" (fillay instead of fillit).
Personally my voice ranged from Mary Poppins to Billy Connolly peppered with the odd (very odd) cackle.
The only downside was the lighting. After spending all that time, money and energy on our costumes, everywhere is so dark we can hardly be seen at all. Still, at least I'll know that even if my legs aren't waxed, my teeth are.









2 Comments:

  • Not certain how this happened, but my comment was posted onto the incorrect blog posting.

    Anyway, I said, My goodness you've both aged... that mid-western sun has done a number of you!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 5:20 PM  

  • Not at all. This is how we usually look. It takes Ross ages of a morning to cover it all up so he can go to work.

    By Blogger Hilary, at 8:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home