Living the American Dream

Thursday, February 05, 2009

Outside In

Ever since I first set foot in Naperville, I've enjoyed peaking in from the outside. I'd observe the ladies who lunch downtown, note strange little quirks like people dressed as the Statue of Liberty waving at cars during tax season, and discovered that although the women here may have the outward appearance of Stepford wives, the reality is they are much more savvy and smart than that.
This week I suddenly noticed a change. Much as I enjoy my role as observer, I think I've moved to the inside. Attending my weekly Rotary meeting today, I realised that more and more people I meet seem to know who I am. I shook hands with Mayor Pradel, and personally invited him to the show. Not sure yet if he can come, but at least he knew who I was.
I have more work, more exposure and seem to be able to get things done. If I initiate, or take part in a project, people want to help.
Is this a normal process, I wonder? I've never lived in a 'foreign' country before. Maybe there's a right of passage everyone goes through in starting a new life, before they settle in. Sometimes I'm shocked when I get to the evening before realising I haven't thought about life back in England.
One thing that scares me is how much I've changed in the past few months. Hob nobbing with all these strong American women has rubbed off. Heck, today I even bought a couple of suits. I've never been so opinionated in my life. I have something to say about everything.
Well, that's it for now. Grumpy'll be home in a minute and I haven't made his dinner yet...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home