Living the American Dream

Friday, March 06, 2009

Identity Crisis

Sometimes I wonder why we ever bother to go away on trips. Last time we ended up spending Christmas Day in a closed hotel, this time we were lucky to get there at all!
"You know, I don't think we need our passports," I said to Grumpy as we prepared to leave for Atlanta. "We never need to show them on internal flights."
"You're right," he said. "But make sure you have your driver's license. You will need photo id."
Just to make sure I took out my license and put it in the same pocket as my Blackberry. I knew it would be safe there.
On the way to the airport my phone rang. I took it out and put it back in my pocket.
We hadn't really left any extra time. Grumpy likes to run straight from the car onto the plane, but we seemed to be doing ok. Until we got out of the car park shuttle bus, that is.
"My driver's license. It's not here," I said, trying not to panic.
"Whaaat? Of course it is. turn out your pockets," said Grumpy, trying not to stay calm.
"I have. It's not here," I said. "Look". I turned out my pockets like a cartoon. "It's not here."
Grumpy turned white.
"That's it, we can't go, we'll miss our flight. It's all your fault!"
We rushed to the desk where fortunately all was not lost. Quite.
"We will accept another form of photo id if you have it," said the attendant taking pity on me. "We'll have to go through your luggage though."
"Er, let me see. Naperville Library Card? No. Morton Arboretum Card? No. "
Which is how I came to get on the plane, marriage and trip intact - courtesy of my Costco card...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home