Living the American Dream

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Art's Their Craft

When we first arrived in Naperville I would spend my time walking around downtown enjoying the art works on display. What I didn't know then was that they were part of the Century Art Walk, an ambitious project which initially told the history of the town. What I also didn't know was that a couple of years later I would know the President of the entire venture, Brand Bobosky and several board members. Nor did I know that I would get to know Jini Leeds Clare who has just written a book about the first 36 pieces.
Last night we went along to NCC's Wentz Concert Hall to celebrate the launch of the book. Eighteen of the artists were present and everyone there scuttled from one table to another getting the appropriate pages of their books signed. It reminded me of a parent teacher evening, or an attempt to break the world record in how many times you could have one book signed by different people.
Another difference between now and if I had attended such an event early on in our time here was that I knew so many people, on both sides of the book signing tables.
Here's Jini Leeds Clare signing my book. Interestingly it comes in three color choices, but it wasn't hard to choose when one of them is my favourite colour.
Christine Rojek is responsible for Parting the Prairie, the fun piece outside the DuPage Children's Museum.
Marianne Lisson Kuhn, the local artist who specializes in tiny details, has produced two of the city's murals.
Always a pleasure to catch up with Dick Locher. His statue of Dick Tracy was up to his knees in water recently due to flooding, but he assures me he can take it. Mr Locher is a true gentlemen and has to be my most favourite interviewee to date.

Another of my favourite statues is of Genevieve Towsley, who sits outside Barnes and Noble. She was well loved in town as a Naperville Sun columnist many years ago. Here I am with sculptress Pam Carpenter. She told me Genevieve originally wore glasses, but they were taken by cheeky kids and she never replaced them in case taking them became a local sport! All I can say is I hope she can still read the notebook she carries without them....
Don't worry if you didn't get to the book signing last night. Century Walk: Art Imitating History is on sale at Anderson's book store and the Naper Settlement.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home