Living the American Dream

Monday, August 16, 2010

Eat, Pray, Don't Bother: Part Two

Pray
Hilary Gilbert entered the sanctuary. It was filled with people wearing little skullcaps and prayer shawls. It could mean only one thing. That she was inside Congregation Beth Shalom, Naperville.
She picked up a prayer book and looked at the text. It meant nothing to her. Even the English was written with weird American spellings. What was this strange world she had come to?
Nervous, she pushed her way through to the middle of the room and sat down. A grey haired man with a beard smiled at her
"Are you James Taylor?" she asked.
"Don't be silly, I'm the rabbi here," he replied.
"I've come here to find myself," Hilary said. "I want to immerse myself in your culture and find inner peace."
A jolly curly haired woman came up beside her. She was playing a guitar and smiling broadly.
"Our cantor will be able to help you," said the Rabbi. "She helps us all find peace with her beautiful voice. Trouble is she's taken a vow of silence for a week so you'll have to wait, but in the meantime you can use our meditation room. It's down the corridor."
Hilary walked through the two sets of double doors and made her way into a little room. She stayed there for many days, struggling to clear her head and find her inner self. Finally she cleared her mind of all thoughts and the light rushed in.
"There's my coat, I was wondering where I left it," said Cantor Hasha rummaging through the rails. "My goodness, what are you doing in here?"
"I thought this was the meditation room," said Hilary sheepishly.
Cantor Hasha laughed. "You do need to find yourself," she said. "You've been sitting in the coat closet all week."

2 Comments:

  • deep meaning here? a metaphor...

    hyacinth

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:13 AM  

  • This is great I am sending it in to Oprah!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home