Living the American Dream

Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Patch Work

This evening I'm delighted to announce the launch of a brand new local publication
www.naperville.patch.com The reason I'm so excited is because for the first time since I arrived in this city, I've been offered a position without having to beg for a chance over and over again.
Naperville Patch is part of Patch.Com, AOL's new revolution in local news. More than just a newspaper, it's also a local directory, a place where anyone can post events, but also a place for experienced writers, and some trainees being given their first shot. It goes live tomorrow (Wednesday) at 6 a.m.
After three and a half years of writing here I've amassed several volumes of cuttings and I must admit I'll always prefer to hold a newspaper or magazine in my hand. But I know the writing is no longer on the paper, it's on the wall. In years to come my cuttings books will be on a museum shelf because the Internet is the way forward. Ironically my main publication, the Naperville Sun, has also just announced a new e version.
Despite that, the benefits of being on line are numerous. Stories will be splattered with hyperlinks to give you more background information than you could wish for. As well as photographs which change as you run your cursor over them, they'll also be videos.
And the best thing of all is that as far as Patch is concerned, it's all absolutely free.
Of course as I get more work I have to keep diversifying. No one wants to read the same story in every publication, and certainly no editor wants to pay for something someone else is using.
So, in addition to writing Naperville Women, news and opinion pieces for the Naperville Sun and Funny Side Up and Happy With Grumpy for Glancer Magazine, I'm delighted to say I'm going to be the arts, entertainment and event correspondent for Patch.
So blog readers, you know the drill. If you enjoy what I write, please visit me at Patch and leave a comment. The site is very interactive and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll be able to have a spin off from my blog on there very soon.

1 Comments:

  • Congratulations!! Going to straight to patch now. Things are starting to move forward for you , hooray!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home