Living the American Dream

Friday, March 07, 2008

Diary of a Mad Housewife

The Diary of Hilary Decent, age 51 and a week.

Sunday, March 2nd: Rehearsal for Passover: The Musical.
Now into it's 400th week of rehearsal, preparations are going well. So far we have changed the script 827 times, discussed changing the script 1,673 times and argued about changing the script 14,213 times. Can't wait for the performances on March 15th and 16th. The curtain will rise and the audience will be treated to two hours of "I think we should do it this way" set to music. No wonder it took the Children of Israel 40 years to cross the desert...

Monday, March 3rd: Piano Lesson
I thought this was going well until my teacher told me I had to start memorizing some pieces.
I must have played Ode to Joy 7,000 times in order to do this. I know all the notes, but cannot necessarily play them in the right order. Each time I play it I lose a little more of the joy. Worst of all, Kim says if I am ever to play well, I have to have my nails cut down!

Tuesday, March 4th: Quick, Quick, Slow
Had nails cut down. Raced back to try piano. Disappointed to find I still can't play the piano well.
In the evening went dancing in Divine's office. They weren't holding a social, it's just she and Spike are very keen to practise what we learn at our dance lessons. Going to an office seemed almost like having a job, although I can't imagine what kind of job would require you to foxtrot around a training room for two hours. The shorter nails didn't help my dancing either.

Wednesday, March 5th: Down in the MOWth
Spent an hour and a half in the dentist's chair having a deep clean and three fillings. Felt no pain due to the fact that they pumped so much anaesetic into my mouth half my face felt like a pillow!
I would have complained about this less if I'd have realised how much pain I would be in when it wore off. Looking forward to having the other half done next Monday. High on painkillers for tonight's dance lesson. They didn't help my dancing any more than my shorter nails.

Thursday, March 6th:
Woke up with gruesome blood clot wrapped around a front tooth. Wrote and answered 7,200 emails about the show, which fortunately was far less than the usual daily quota. None were from prospective audience members alas. Continued to take pain killers. One side of my mouth enjoyed lunch with Buffy. The other side moaned at her continually about my horrible week. Oddly enough she had to leave early.
Planned this evening to do another run through of the whole show at rehearsals. Only made it a quarter of way through. The only person who hasn't suggested how to do the opening number by now is the janitor. Hey, there's a thought..
Came home to welcoming chocolate martini. Worked well with painkillers. Woke up at 4 a.m. with a raging headache, hence the reason I am writing this at 6 in the morning.

2 Comments:

  • Funny entry, I like the reference to Eric Morcombe and written in the style of Adrian Mole.

    Is the Passover show being filmed for a videoblog?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:01 AM  

  • Good grief. That would assume I actually wanted people to see it!

    By Blogger Hilary, at 1:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home