Living the American Dream

Saturday, September 27, 2008

Go Huskies!

In England, when a school takes part in sports you’re lucky if six people and a dog turn up to watch. In Naperville the entire town seems to show up. Even people with kids not on the team. Even people with kids not at the school. Even people with grown up kids who live on the other side of the world!
Last night we went along to watch ‘our’ team, Naperville North High School play Glenbard North. The place was packed, the football field lit by giant lights with the local radio station commentating! We could have been at a Bears game it was so exciting. (Well, the crowd would have been just as excited if their kids were playing for the Bears, anyhow).
“Let’s sit here,” said my friend Venus bounding up the bleachers like a gazelle. I puffed up behind her. I was impressed. Not that I could actually climb after her, but because it was just like in the movies.
“When do we start singing Summer Nights?” I asked. Venus didn’t, or pretended not, to hear me as a roar went up from the crowd. It was loud!
After a rousing performance of the National Anthem by not one but about six local school marching bands, the teams ran out onto the field. I was astonished to hear the announcers calling out their weights as they ran on. That would put me off playing if nothing else, at least that’s what I thought until I saw how fast and rough the game actually was.
There were so many people there. First the team. There appeared to be at least 80 on each side, which Venus explained was because half the school are on the team, but only the select few play. I guess the others just go to training for the exercise. Every member of the team, whether playing or not, had his dad there. Every cheerleader, every baton swirler, every gymnast, every musician, every mascot had their own individual supporters. I’m surprised the hot dog sellers and ticket sellers weren’t being followed around by their own personal groupies.
The cheerleaders really did look like those Build a Bear teddies. They had their hair in pony tails, wore cute little costumes and even used giant load hailers! Not only could they shout out, dance and flip like Shawn Johnson, but they formed pyramids and waved pom poms.
The half time entertainment only needed a washed up 80s singer to make it as good as the Super Bowl. I expected a traditional marching band strutting up and down the field, but what we got was an exciting story of cops and robbers running around waving flags and playing instruments.
“This is really great,” I said to Venus through a mouthful of hotdog. “I can’t believe I’ve never been to one of these games before.”
Just then I noticed some dogs being walked around the track. Turned out they were Huskies, which is the team’s nickname.
“Just as well the other team didn’t bring there’s,” I said as our team ran off victorious. Glenbard North’s team is known as the Panthers.

2 Comments:

  • (It was more fun than watching the first presidential debate.) Thank you for a nice account of the evening. Glad you enjoyed it - lucky the weather was so pleasant for late September. Next week is the cross-town rivalry game to be played at the local college stadium.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:31 PM  

  • This is too funny - I was so glad my kids were NOT on the team when they were there so I didn't have to go go any of the games!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home