Living the American Dream

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Eat, Pray, Don't Bother: Part Three

Don't Bother
The sultry breeze, soft music and spicy smells meant just one thing. Hilary Gilbert found herself in Indian Harvest restaurant. (Of course technically she still hadn't 'found herself' at all, but you know what I mean).
She sat down a table opposite a short bald man with a toothless grin.
"Hallo Mayor Patel," she said. "Do you remember I came to see you years ago and you gave me this strange picture?"
She held out a piece of crumpled paper. Mayor Patel took it and turned it round the other way.
"I'm afraid I have no idea who you are, but this paper is one of my columns from the Naperville Sun."
"I am traveling the world trying to find myself," Hilary said. "Do you think I can find myself here in Naperville? Do you think I can find...er..love?"
"Well not from me you can't," laughed yogi mayor. (Think about it) "I've been married for 50 years to my lovely wife Pat. You'll be able to read all about it in Friday's edition of the Naperville Sun."
"Fifty years? Wow. In February I will have been married for 30 years and there are days when I'm not sure I'll make it that far!"
Leaving the restaurant Hilary got on her bicycle and rode off down the road. She was suddenly struck by a passing motorist.
"What do you think you're doing? I told you not to go out without the training wheels on!"
The grouchy voice could mean only one thing. It was her husband Grumpy.
"Look what you've done to my new car! I've only had it a week, now I'll have to go and buy another one," he said.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home