Living the American Dream

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

As One Door Opens - It Closes

Since I've made such a fuss on here about my new gig, I thought I'd better mention that it's over almost before it began. I always thought if you were a freelancer it meant you could work anywhere that would have you. Not so. Today I was forced to make a choice between my new job and my old one so no more Patch work for me.
The reason I'm staying with the Sun Times group is largely sentimental. They've provided me with work since I arrived in Naperville and any fame, for want of a better word, I've had because of them. They are pivotal in my story, however that ends up.
I'm not sure why I'm on this relentless quest to make a career out of writing. God knows its not for the money. I can have fame doing this or fortune doing something else, but not both. I think the reason is probably this. Much as I love Naperville, its a town of winners and high achievers. No one is ordinary here - the birds sing opera, the garbage men have to speak at least five languages and every child receives Mensa membership with their birth certificate.
I've torn my family apart by following the American Dream, so it would be pointless if I had come here just to be ordinary. Writing is the only thing that makes me extra ordinary and now I'm in the hamster wheel I can't get off.
So for now I'm back to square one writing news for the Sun, Grumpy for Glancer Magazine and this blog for you.

6 Comments:

  • I read all your articles/news/blogs and love them! Sorry it didn't work with the Patch..c'est la vie!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:26 AM  

  • Previous comment was mine! Steph

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:27 AM  

  • "Never ever give up on your dreams!"

    Oprah, March 1988

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:01 AM  

  • You are extraordinary: you can make us laugh, teach us a new use of a word, entertain/inform us with your comic and your serious writings.

    Your story is not ending: it is in its infancy.

    We are so happy that you are part of Naperville, America.

    Peace.

    Diane

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:41 AM  

  • Glad you are here writing in ANY way, shape or form! We are so lucky to have you! Ellen.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:59 AM  

  • All your neighbors seem quite ordinary to me. No corporate bigwigs, no professional athletes - just a bunch of nice people who enjoy having you in the cul-de-sac. Just keep enjoying what you are doing and continue fitting in well with the the non-Mensa types surrounding you.

    By Anonymous Neighbour, at 11:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home