Living the American Dream

Monday, January 28, 2008

Jerry, Jerry!

I can't decide if I should be admonished by Super Nanny or be voted the coolest mum of the year!
After risking the lives of my son and his friend's on the slopes yesterday, today I took them to a recording of Jerry Springer in Chicago.
At first I thought it was going to be great. It's not easy to get in to see the iconic show, so I was thrilled when we stumbled across the line outside NBC by accident. We were told that even though we didn't have invitations, if we waited around they might be able to squeeze us in.
For a moment I thought it was a trick set up by Orphan No 1. Was this his chance to get his own back on his disfunctional family for abandoning him and moving to the other side of the world? Was it a co-incidence we were at the very back of the line? Any moment they could shove us through a side door and we would be on stage!
Fortunately, we were only audience members, if you can call it fortunate.
As we sat down we were shown clips of previous programmes. It had been some time since I had seen a show and I had forgotten quite what they were like. Trailer trash families swearing and fighting whilst throwing chairs across the stage. Ok on TV, I guess, but a bit different when it's all about to kick off feet away from you.
To be honest, the three scenarios we watched were pretty tame, and not entirely believable. There was the young black stripper who wanted to leave her boyfriend because he made her drink 2% milk and do 30 stomach crunches a day. The girl who tricked her boyfriend into leaving his previous girlfriend by lying that she was pregnant. You get the picture. To be honest the whole thing looked completely false and struggling from the effect of the writers' strike. However, Orphan No 1 and his friends really enjoyed the show, particularly when the stripper decided to show off her assets to the audience.
I sank into my seat. What was I thinking? I had brought my 20 something son and his friends to a strip show! It got worse. After an initial quick flash, she took off her top to demonstrate just how she did those stomach crunches.
Eventually the show crawled to an end. Jerry came out of it very well. He spent a lot of time chatting to the audience who genuinely seemed to love him. But just when I thought the worst was over, it got worse.
"For the last part, we're bringing everyone back on stage for you to question them," the audience was told. "If you ask a question and we don't like it, we might ask you to lift up your top." This was met by whoops of delight and screams of Jer-ree, Jer -ree, of course.
Who were this audience? They looked normal enough queueing outside. I can only assume they all parked their trailers around the corner.
I felt myself starting to shake when I realised the girl sitting next to Lord Lee of Edgware had her hand up to make a comment.
Fortunately I couldn't see what she was doing as the four of them turned heads right to make the most of her assets.
We always try to tailor make our guests visits to the U.S. But I think next time I'll stick to museums and art galleries when showing them Chicago!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home