Living the American Dream

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Stand Up and Be Counted?

This morning I crept out early leaving the boys sleeping. Only in Naperville could they go to a movie, make new friends in a nearby restaurant and be out until 3.30 in the morning!
I couldn't wait for them, because I had errands to run. Not the usual stuff. I had to run around stores with posters for the musical, then interview the owner of the local comedy club for my new gig with Naperville magazine.
Most places were very gracious in accepting the posters. It was much easier than it would have been in England. (But then why would they want to advertise a Naperville show anyway?) My favourite was the YMCA, quite a coup, I thought, since the show is being performed at a local synagogue.
The interview went well. I used my latest gadget to help me, a tiny voice recorder. Dave joked it was like something out of Mission Impossible, which it was, since I had no idea how to use it.
We had a great chat, although as I left he felt he had to remind me that the feature should be about him, not me! Not something anyone would even have thought of saying the last time I interviewed anybody, a mere 25 years ago.
However, he did say if I ever wanted to do a one woman show from the Comedy Shrine, I could. Although he is a pretty good comedian, I know he wasn't joking.
"I know I do stupid things for my column, but this definitely will not be one of them," I said firmly, as I left.
Trouble is, I have a horrible feeling I might...

1 Comments:

  • Yes Hilary - you will do it! How could you miss an opportunity like that? A woman who can make me laugh when I'm reading the Naperville Sun at 7am on a January morning is (a) truly funny (b) deserving public acclaim! Go for it!!
    Steph

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home