Living the American Dream

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Don't Put Your Son On The Stage, Mr Worthington!

Nothing will put the fear of God into you like the thought of having to perform a solo on stage if you aren't comfortable singing.
At yesterday evening's rehearsal (number 457 I believe), the best performer in the entire cast suddenly dried up. Not surprising, he is only four-years-old and it was way past his bedtime!
I wasn't especially concerned since I know he'll be great on the day, but our composer was very worried.
"Sorry, you can't let a child his age sing lines on his own," she said. " What'll happen if he dries up on the night? We need someone to sing the line with him."
The obvious choice was the little boy's daddy, who somewhat reluctantly took on a minor role purely to be on stage with him.
"I know," said Mrs Hammerstein. "You sing it with him. Let's try it again from the top."
Second time round little Moses sang out loud and clear. Alone.
"See, I don't think we'll have a problem," I said.
However, I then noticed Moses' daddy looking a little green around the gills.
"What did you do to your son?" I asked him. "You look terrified. There's no way you're going to allow him not to sing his lines is there?"
"Was it that obvious?" he replied.

Oddly enough I believe there still may be some tickets available for the show. Although I won't be performing (sighs of relief all round) I will be making a little speech at the end, assuming I haven't been deported by then.
Performances Saturday, March 15th at 8 p.m., Sunday, March 16th at 3 p.m.
To reserve tickets, ring Congregation Beth Shalom, 722 W.Fifth Avenue, Naperville on
1 630 961 1818.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home