Living the American Dream

Thursday, March 13, 2008

Picture Perfect

The photo I should use
on my articles...
Much as I appreciate fame, it does seem somewhat unfair that everybody wants my picture now I am looking worse than I have ever done! Hibernating for the winter has taken it's toll, and I didn't really need to eat all that extra food to keep warm at my stage of life.


I've already relayed the story of how my photo was taken for my column in The Naperville Sun. I sent the one in for Positively Naperville myself, but even that makes me look like I'm glaring angrily at my readers.


The photo taken for the program for the show is really bad. That was taken mid-rehearsal, and even though I posed for it, you can see the tension excuding from the ends of my hair. Plus I look like I haven't slept for a week, which is odd, because I'm actually sleeping much better now the temperature is -12 C every night, thanks.


So you can imagine my horror when the editor of Naperville magazine asked for a high resolution photo for next month's issue. High resolution? Gosh, that sounds like it would show every wrinkle, I thought. I desperately searched through my computer to find just one picture of me that didn't make me look like an overweight 50+ woman with dyed hair - tricky, since that's exactly who I am and we all know the camera never lies. (You'd think it might be open to bribes, though).


In the end there was nothing for it but to get Grumpy to take a new photo. This time I'd be ready. If he had to take 200 there would be one that I would be happy with. As luck would have it, Grumpy is off sick today with a nasty cold. (That's just because I know his office reads this. In reality it's a typical man cold with an extra large dose of grumpiness thrown in. You're lucky to have a day without him, guys).


Anyhow, I emptied every container of make-up I own all over my face, put my hair up and down five times, changed three times, then asked Grumpy to take my picture.


Astonshingly it came out just fine. But when you see the finished result in the magazine next month, remember the reason I had such a lovely smile on my face. Grumpy was only wearing his robe and it fell open just as he pressed the shutter....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home