Living the American Dream

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Raging Bull(s)

The boys were really excited when they saw the deep fluffy snow I had arranged for them when they flew into town on Saturday. Unfortunately by yesterday it had melted and was unseasonably mild.
"I dunno, I bought all these clothes with and I don't even need them," grumbled Dumb Bell Door, from beneath his two undershirts, one thick shirt, two fleeces and a neckscarf, as he insists on calling it. (What's the alternative? A knee scarf?)
So last night when we dropped them off at the United Center to watch a Bulls game, they left most of their layers behind.
"It's a bit chilly," said Lee, Lord of the understatement as he climbed out of the car. (So useful, that minivan. Don't know why everyone laughed when Ross bought it).
In fact the temperature had dropped by about 40 degrees from earlier in the day.
By the time we collected them it was far colder with a blizzard raging. We couldn't park right outside the building, so the boys had to push their way against the wind to walk around the block.
"I've never known anything like this!" said Earl Grey. "I can't feel my ears."
Grumpy bravely drove us 30 miles back home, which fortunately only took about an hour. It was like driving through a snow globe. Every few minutes there was flash behind us.
"Now what," he moaned. "Is it a police car?"
"Sorry, no it's me," said Earl Grey. "I'm just taking photos of the temperature. It's -13F. Oh, no it's not. It's minus -14. Wow, I've never seen it so cold."
I received a voicemail message on the journey from my friend Venus, kindly asking if we needed to borrow fleeces. Fortunately the boys had brought everything they needed from England. It's just a pity they hadn't actually put them on!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home